Blog Archive

Saint Moses the Black

Saint Moses the Black
Saint Moses the Black

Popular Posts

Labels

Saint John the Theologian

Saint John the Theologian
Saint John the Theologian

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered By Blogger
Thursday, November 19, 2009

David Bentley Hart

I never knew about the man until I read what someone had to say about him in passing on another blog (an Orthodox convert blog that seems to hate all things American Orthodox......they hate AFR, the OSB, Conciliar Press, they hate the way we sing, they seem to hate anything evangelical converts do. Yet, these same haters refuse to do the hard work and make their own OSB translation, their own podcast network, radio stations, tv channel, films, and publishing companies.......etc. So I tend to ignore them for, if you can't show me by example, then you really don't have anything of worth to say. To be honest, I think some of this evangelical convert hate by other converts is from the fact, that some of them probably hated us in their non-Orthodox years. If you were a liberal protestant that hated evangelicals, then you might still hate us now that you converted to Orthodoxy...........no big deal, it is what it is. I didn't listen to them in my protestant years, and I'm not going to now)

Well, I thought that maybe I should check out this person since I tend to like and love what so and so seems to hate and dislike.

Ok, so I googled him, and I found out that David B. Hart is my kind of person.........someone I would like and want to read more about.

Atheist Delusions: The Christian Revolution and Its Fashionable Enemies by David B. Hart


And so, if I ever read so and so's blog again, it will be to see who else he dislikes in American Orthodoxy, or what else he might dislike about American Orthodoxy, because I might find a new author or a new network to like and love.










ICXC NIKA

6 comments:

J. B. Aitken said...

Hello friend,
I just found this blog. Hart's book on *Beauty of the Infinite* is what turned me on to Orthodoxy, plus a few of his lectures critiquing Calvinism's view of God and will (see here:http://www.theopedia.com/David_Bentley_Hart). This is what crippled my Calvinism.

There are legit concerns or cautions with Hart. For one, he suffers from an ability to communicate clearly. He is very intelligent and knows half a dozen languages, but sometimes I think he is showing off. This is unfortunate because it is often in the midst of a very good point.

Others critique his critique of Palamas. I am not smart enough on Orthodoxy to weigh in at that point.

His book on atheism is good, though. It's actually a retelling of Western history than a criticism of atheism, but still pretty good.

Jnorm said...

Thanks for your thoughts about Hart. I'm still shocked I never heard of him.








ICXC NIKA

あじ said...

Plenty of good articles of his are to be found at davidbhart.blogspot.com (and more are linked on his Wikipedia page). He reminds me of Chesterton for some reason.

Jnorm said...

Thanks for giving me the link to his blogsite. I'm gonna check it out!







ICXC NIKA

Unknown said...

I just finished "Atheist Delusions" about a week ago -- I had never heard of David B. Hart either until reading that book. It's awesome -- just awesome. Every person in America needs to read that book. I couldn't recommend it more.

Jnorm said...

Wow! Thanks David, I plan on buying the book sometime after Christmass. I should be settled down by then.







ICXC NIKA

Related Posts with Thumbnails