Blog Archive

Saint Moses the Black

Saint Moses the Black
Saint Moses the Black

Popular Posts

Labels

Saint John the Theologian

Saint John the Theologian
Saint John the Theologian

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered By Blogger
Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Catechumen's Tale: "Yeshua loves you, man!"

A Catechumen's Tale: "Yeshua loves you, man!"


TONY ALLEN did a good job with this! Check it out!!!

Here is a snippet!

"I've started visiting a local Messianic Synagogue, and one that's actually right near my own church. They have Bible studies every Saturday, and, since I have nothing better to do on that day and it's so rare that I get a chance to discuss theology in a group setting, I attend. This weekend they had special seminars regarding Messianic Judaism, its history, and its practices. As my friends know, I'm always interested in the theology of various faiths and denominations, so I decided to attend.

Unfortunately I missed the first seminar, Levitical Judaism, but I did come in time for the second: Messianic Judaism and Christianity. One would imagine that, since Messianic Jews and Christians worship Christ together, there would be a lot in common, or at least a sense of brotherhood. Instead, what I heard was a telling of Jewish persecution under Christian rule and a distortion of the early faith into what became Christianity.

The argument made is that Paul, the disciples, and other early followers were all Jews, and never forsook their Jewish faith. Their defense for this is two-fold: first, Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:17 that He came not to abolish the Torah or the Prophets, but to complete them; second, when Paul spoke against Jewish customs it was directed towards the Gentiles, not the Jewish believers.

Here the presenter, who I won't name, made a strange error: she said that the Greek name for Jesus was Iosous...which she pronounced "loh-sohs." I'm not making this up. When I first heard her say this I thought she had said "Logos". As verified by the Greek manuscripts, Jesus' Greek name was Iesous, which is pronounced "ee-eh-soos". Her intent, in any case, was to make it seem as if Jesus's original name (Yeshua Mashiach) was replaced by a Greek name (Iesous Christos) to remove his Jewish roots. The reason Iesous was used, however, was because all the writers of the New Testament spoke and wrote in Greek."



To read the rest, please go to the webpage.





JNORM888

3 comments:

Tony said...

My sister poo-poo'd me for confronting the speaker, and I guess in retrospect I could have done what Priscella and Aquila did to Apollos, but I figured if I confronted her later she could just ignore me, and people would continue to be misinformed.

Jnorm said...

True!

So your sister goes there?




JNORM888

Tony said...

My sister doesn't worship anything ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails