Blog Archive

Saint Moses the Black

Saint Moses the Black
Saint Moses the Black

Popular Posts

Labels

Saint John the Theologian

Saint John the Theologian
Saint John the Theologian

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered By Blogger
Thursday, June 5, 2008

Classical Arminianism: JOHN 6: JESUS SAYS HE HAS GOOD NEWS! "MY FATHER WILL SAVE SOME OF YOU!"

Classical Arminianism: JOHN 6: JESUS SAYS HE HAS GOOD NEWS! "MY FATHER WILL SAVE SOME OF YOU!"

BILL, over at Classical Arminianism did a good job in talking about this issue.


"Among such biblical texts as Romans 8 and 9 and
Ephesians 1, Calvinists are convinced that John 6 secures the notion that Jesus
taught a Calvinistic soteriology. I am convinced, however, that Calvinists tend
to see Calvinism in every text. I know. I used to be one.


My zeal for Calvinism clouded my interpretation of
Scripture. Whatever scriptures I encountered which contradicted Calvinism, I had
to find a way to make it mean something other than its simplistic meaning. I am
not saying that all Calvinists are necessarily guilty of this very
thing.

But I will admit that I was immersed in the
writings of John Calvin, John Piper, John MacArthur, R. C. Sproul, Martyn
Lloyd-Jones, Iain Murray, John Owen, Martin Luther, Loraine Boettner, John
Murray, and others, and was raised, spiritually speaking, on a strict
Calvinistic hermeneutic, theology, and interpretation.
When I was eventually
convinced that what I was doing was not the appropriate manner with which one
should view and interpret Scripture, I abandoned my Calvinist hermeneutic and
replaced it with a more simplistic one--one which takes Scripture at face value,
interpreting the more difficult-to-understand passages by the simple ones.
Thus when I (and other Arminians) come to the statements made by Jesus in
John 6, I do not see Christ telling that group of Jews that His Father had
selected to save only some of them. And if Jesus was telling them that, then one
wonders why Calvinist preachers do not follow in the Savior's footsteps and
declare the same thing from their pulpits!
Moreover, the reaction from those
Jews in John 6 was focused not on Christ's alleged discourse on election, but on
His claim to have come down to earth from heaven. It seems to me that the
former, and not the latter, would have been far more offensive to the Jews (who
believed that their relationship with God was in tact due to their union with
and standing as an heir of Abraham)"


For the rest of the post, go to his blog :

http://classicalarminianism.blogspot.com/2008/06/john-6-jesus-says-he-has-good-news-my.html#links




JNORM888

3 comments:

Moderate Democrat said...

Jnorm888:

As per your statement on your blogspot that "They Never Returned My Call", it means that "They" aren't doing "their" job. There isn't anything more useless than a Preacher/Priest who doesn't keep up with their outreach. I've been kept on the rolls of a Baptist Church for five years when I never attended, and when I attended regularly at the Orthodox Church. I got no calls, and I had to ask three times to be removed from the rolls.

For the next Church you visit, let them know that if they don't keep up with their outreach, and if they are only interested in inflating their numbers, that you aren't interested. That will separate the Wheat from the Chaff.

While I would prefer for you to go Orthodox, I would not want you to be a Cathecumen for a Priest who doesn't do his job, even if it means that you have to go Protestant again. You want a Church that keeps up with their bonding.

You also want a Church that's growing. Which one do you ask? Is there a crowd of Cathecumens when the Priest calls them up for their Liturgy? Is there a lot of baby noise in the back of the church? Well, those are the signs of a growing Church.

Finally, I do believe in second chances. If the Priest who didn't return your calls leaves, give the new Priest a chance.

HNC

Jnorm said...

Thanks for you condern. It was all in God's Providence. I believe God made me wait for a reason. Besides, in those 9 years, I was reading the prenicene and Nicene Church Fathers, and non Fathers. As well as modern Orthodox works.

So the Lord had me wait for a reason.


It's all good now.




JNORM888

Jnorm said...

I meant concern

Related Posts with Thumbnails