Blog Archive

Saint Moses the Black

Saint Moses the Black
Saint Moses the Black

Popular Posts

There was an error in this gadget

Labels

Saint John the Theologian

Saint John the Theologian
Saint John the Theologian

Followers

Total Pageviews

Follow by Email

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Did Jesus go to Hell?

This is an answer to a question asked on "HCR".



quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine

"i know it isnt true but lets discuss it."




I hope my style doesn't sound mean to you. If it does, please let me know.

My goal is simply to get one to think about the issues. And why they believe the way they do, as well as why one believes one view over another.

I'm also doing this to show that the view(interpretation) I hold to, can authentically come from scripture.

Now you said:


Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine


"i know it isnt true but lets discuss it."




Why isn't it true? And how do you know it's not true?

Is it because of the Renaissance movement? Is that why it's not true?

Is it because of the BRITISH CIVIL war? Is that why it's not true?

or

Is it because of the Enlightenment movement? Is that why it's not true?

There is a history to everything, but if you want to look at the scriptures, then I would say:


"Scripture makes it seem he went there"


Let's look at a passage.

KJV
Acts 2:31
He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.


If we look at the blue letter Bible, we will see:
http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-b...version=KJV#31

The word soul is "psuche" and according to the Blue letter Bible website, it means:


Quote:
"1) breath

a) the breath of life

1) the vital force which animates the body and shows itself in breathing

a) of animals

b) of men

b) life

c) that in which
there is life

1) a living being, a living soul

2) the soul

a) the seat of the feelings, desires, affections, aversions (our heart,
soul etc.)

b) the (human) soul in so far as it is constituted that by
the right use of the aids offered it by God it can attain its highest end and
secure eternal blessedness, the soul regarded as a moral being designed for
everlasting life

c) the soul as an essence which differs from the body
and is not dissolved by death (distinguished from other parts of the
body)"





The word flesh is "sarx" and according to the same source it means:


Quote:
"1) flesh (the soft substance of the living body,
which covers the bones and is permeated with blood) of both man and beasts

2) the body

a) the body of a man

b) used of natural or
physical origin, generation or relationship

1) born of natural
generation

c) the sensuous nature of man, "the animal nature"

1)
without any suggestion of depravity

2) the animal nature with cravings
which incite to sin

3) the physical nature of man as subject to
suffering

3) a living creature (because possessed of a body of flesh)
whether man or beast

4) the flesh, denotes mere human nature, the
earthly nature of man apart from divine influence, and therefore prone to sin
and opposed to God



And according to the King James Bible, it said that his "Soul" was not left in Hell.

And in this context, the greek word for Hell is "Hades", and according to the same source, it says:

Quote:
"1) name Hades or Pluto, the god of the lower
regions

2) Orcus, the nether world, the realm of the dead

3)
later use of this word: the grave, death, hell



Now the reason why I presented it this way, is because in modern times, people like to use the argument that "Hades" simply means "the grave".....as in a physical grave yard.


One of the problems to this interpretation is, we are not talking about a "physical grave yard".

If we were, we would be talking about his flesh, not being left in the grave yard. But that is not what the text says.

It says his soul, will not be left in Hades. So we are not talking about a physical place, but a spiritual one.


Remember, we are talking about his Soul, not his flesh.




Take care, and have a good day.



I hope I wasn't mean or rude.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine


"I see
where you are coming from but does Scriptre plainly come out and say that he
went to hell?

In the context i am bringing into discussion, i didnt ask
did the scriptures make it seem like Jesus went to hell? no not my point.

My point is I have heard many preachers say this but with no scriptural
basis, such as when i was recieving letters from Kenneth Copeland one of the
letters said: Jesus went to hell for your peace! so that you dont have to be
worried of fearful.

i should have stated this in the begining but this
topic has been brought up before and i wanted to discuss it, because i find it
not true because i have yet to see it plainly laid out in scripture, and if it
isnt there then it cant be true becuase the Scriptures are a believers FINAL
AUTHORITY"




You said:


"Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine

there is no "Jesus went to hell"
anywhere in scripture. thats why i didnt post much scripture becuase i couldnt
find it"



Based on what David L, and myself have shown. I don't think you can say that. At best, the onlything you can say is "scripture doesn't say Jesus went to Gehenna.

But based on Acts chapter 2, his Soul, did go to Hades. And if we look at Rev 1:18. We will see an implicit conformation that he went to Hades. For he has the keys of both "death & Hades".



KJV
Revelation 1:18
I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.


Also, I would like to make known, that "Word of Faith" Preachers are not the only ones who believe Jesus went to HELL.

Now I wouldn't say the word "HELL". Instead, I would use the word "HADES".

But this is from a Lutherian blog:
http://weedon.blogspot.com/2008/03/on-descent.html

Quote:
"Our Lord Christ did descend into hell, battered
hell open, overcame the devil, and delivered those who were held captive by the
devil. (Blessed Martin Luther: House Postil I:480)

Christ has crushed
hell, opened up heaven, bound and taken captive the devil, and delivered the
prisoners. (Blessed Martin Luther: House Postil I:480)

The soul, having
obtained union with the Word; descended into hell; but using its divine power
and efficacy, it said to the ones in bondage, "Go forth!" (St. Cyril of
Alexandria, as cited in Catalog of Testimonies VI)"




Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine
thats what i
was saying.

now theres a whole other discussion.

Jesus having
the keys to hell and actually going to hell is a completely different thing wont
you agree?"




Why would you say that? Did Jesus actually die?

Remember, that verse said Jesus had the keys to both Hades & death.


KJV
Revelation 1:18
I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.



To say that Jesus has the key of Hades without actually being in Hades while dead, is to say that Jesus has the key of death without actually dying.


I don't think it would be wise to say that.








JNORM888

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails