Blog Archive

Saint Moses the Black

Saint Moses the Black
Saint Moses the Black

Popular Posts

Labels

Saint John the Theologian

Saint John the Theologian
Saint John the Theologian

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered By Blogger
Monday, October 6, 2008

Church And State

This is from the podcast of Ft. Thomas Hopko, called Speaking the Truth in Love,



As seen from the website
"What does it mean to be a Christian and to live in this world? To answer that question, Fr. Tom examines the ancient New Testament Church." and part 2 deals with "the Roman-Byzantine empire of the 4th century." Part 3 talks about "the fifth through fifteenth centuries." Part 4 examines "the four centuries of Muslim rule over Eastern Orthodox Christians." Part 5 discusses "how the Orthodox Church fared in Russia before the revolution." Part 6 "looks at the Church in the 20th century, especially in Communist countries." Part 7 outlines "how the Church fared in the 20th century in lands that were not traditionally Orthodox." And Part 8 concludes "his series by reflecting on what it means to be a Christian in America today."


Part 1:
Play Online

Direct Link


Part 2:
Play Online

Direct Link


Part 3:
Play Online

Direct Link


Part 4:
Play Online

Direct Link


Part 5:
Play Online

Direct Link


Part 6:
Play Online

Direct Link


Part 7:
Play Online

Direct Link


Part 8:
Play Online

Direct Link


Spiritual Springtime: Reflection on 40 Years:
As seen from the webpage:
"Fr. Tom spoke at the 40th Anniversary of the consecration of the chapel at the Orthodox Monastery of the Transfiguration in Ellwood City, PA on September 27, 2008. In this lecture he reflects on 40 years of Orthodoxy in North America."


Play Audio

Direct Link


Related links:
"The Virtue of War: Reclaiming the Classic Christian Traditions East & West "

and

"The Pacifist Option"






JNORM888

3 comments:

Kevin Jackson said...

Hey Jnorm,

Off topic question. Have you heard of Matthew Gallitin? He's Orthodox. Do you recommend his stuff? Anyway, I noticed he has a bunch of podcasts on the ancientfaith.com site. I'm planning on checking them out.

Jnorm said...

I never knew him by name, but after looking at the AncientFaith.com site, I remember his face and I do recall listenning to a few of his podcasts. But I didn't associate the name with the face. To be honest, I never read any of his books before. I never knew he had any until I read his bio. So he's pretty new to me. Thanks to you, I'll try and check out his podcasts more often.


But I can't say one way or the other, just for the fact that he's pretty new to me. But I will try to check him out more often.

Thanks for bringing him to my attention.





JNORM888

Tony said...

He's a great listen. I especially liked his lecture to a group of Orthodox in Alaska, as well as his podcast on the Repentant Thief (only because I love the story of the Repentant Thief so much!).

Related Posts with Thumbnails