Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(383)
-
▼
October
(16)
- Patriarch IGNATIUS IV visits America
- Study finds more U.S. Orthodox Christian converts
- Early Byzantine Syrian Christian art
- Jewish Iconography in Ancient Synagogues
- The School of Antioch
- The Cappadocian Fathers & the rise of the school o...
- The Chrysostom Bible Commentary Series
- Polio, HIV, the Green Monkey, & Chimpanzees
- Church And State
- Videos
- The role of the layperson in the Orthodox Church
- From Hare Krishna to Christ
- The School of Alexandria
- From Baptist to Bosnia to Byzantium
- I edited the bookstore
- The Virtue of War: Reclaiming the Classic Christia...
-
▼
October
(16)
Saint Moses the Black
Saint Moses the Black
Ecumenical Councils
Popular Posts
-
As seen from Theologica : (I am putting this on my blog because it took me a few hours to write. I only used his initials instead of his ful...
-
As seen from the Theological forum. The efficacy of Baptism doesn't depend on me the individual. It depends on God. Accepting a gift...
-
As seen from the Theologica Forums. Thanks, I hope he doesn't mind if I interact with it. I agree with what h...
-
As takin from Eusebius's Ecclesiastical History "(1) The spirit of wickedness, however, being unable to shake some in their love of...
-
As seen from princeton.edu : Quote: "Saturday, February 12, 2011 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Taking our cue from Fr. Florovsky, who wrote wi...
-
The Link: http://www.orthodox-christianity.com/?p=1017
Labels
- about me (54)
- African American (33)
- Albert (5)
- ancestral sin (5)
- Ancient Christianity Conference (31)
- ancient heresies (23)
- ancientfaithradio (124)
- Archeology (11)
- Arminianism (32)
- Atheism (26)
- Atonement (18)
- Audio Sermons (10)
- Augustinianism (14)
- Baptism (11)
- Bible study (12)
- Book reviews (7)
- books (69)
- brotherhood of saint moses (25)
- calamity (2)
- Calvinism (69)
- charity (3)
- Christmass (10)
- Christology (1)
- Church Calendar (5)
- church fathers (60)
- church history (120)
- Confession (1)
- conspiracy theories (4)
- conversion stories (42)
- creationism (13)
- David (7)
- debates (14)
- determinism (1)
- Divine Energies/grace (15)
- Divine Energiesgrace (1)
- Divine Liturgy (5)
- Dr. Jeannie Constantinou (43)
- Eastern Orthodoxy (254)
- ecclesiology (3)
- Economics (2)
- Ecumenical councils (8)
- election (6)
- eschatology (22)
- Eucharist (7)
- Eugenics (7)
- Evangelism (1)
- fasting (8)
- free will (27)
- Ft. Thomas Hopko (43)
- fullpreterism (5)
- hiphop music (31)
- Icons (15)
- Incarnation (1)
- interest (3)
- Isa Almisry (1)
- Jesus (18)
- Kabane52 (1)
- Kallistos Ware (8)
- Learning Greek (5)
- Lectures (2)
- Lutheranism (1)
- Maximus Scott (2)
- Monasticism (15)
- Neopaganism (1)
- News (6)
- Oriental Orthodox (16)
- Orthodox Apologetics (22)
- Orthodox education (12)
- Orthodox Podcasts (30)
- Orthodox videos (67)
- Orthros/Matins (1)
- Panentheism (4)
- Parish life (34)
- pascha (9)
- Pascha/Easter (17)
- Patristics (7)
- perseverance (7)
- phatcatholic (6)
- politics (51)
- Prayer (32)
- prevenient grace (6)
- Protestantism (135)
- quotes (5)
- rapture (2)
- resources (8)
- resurrection of the dead (5)
- RocknRoll (4)
- Roman Catholicism (36)
- Romans 9 (10)
- sacramental theology (6)
- Sacred Music (10)
- scripture (71)
- scripture exposition/Interpretation (95)
- semi-pelagianism (9)
- Septuagint (12)
- Sola Scriptura (5)
- Theological vocabulary (6)
- Theotokos (4)
- thoughts (157)
- Tony Allen (9)
- tradition (35)
- Trinity (9)
- Western Rite (1)
Saint John the Theologian
Saint John the Theologian
Facebook Badge
Followers
Total Pageviews
Protestant & Catholic Rapsites I post on
About Me
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Early Byzantine Syrian Christian art
I would like to give thanks to Dr. Emma Loosley for suggesting these books to me, they will come in handy as I finish up on my rejoinder with Morey's book. But since I can't read spanish I won't be able to check out one of the books. Eventually, I will be able to check out:
1.) The Christian Art of Byzantine Syria by Father Pena (A Franciscan)

2.) The Architecture and Liturgy of the Bema in Fourth-to Sixth-Century Syrian Churches by Dr. Emma LOOSLEY (her book)
This is going to take longer than what I planned. Especially now, since I'm in the St. Stephen's Course in Orthodox Theology program. Which is seen here and here. So it's gonna be awhile, but I'm sure I can always use what I'm learning at Saint Stephen's with what I'm working on here.......so I will quote stuff from the books I have to read for the Saint Stephen's program as well. For anything that deals with the topic at hand will help. In my conclusion, I will talk about how Eastern Orthodoxy had many places(regions) of influence. Robert Morey tries to paint the picture that we came from Egypt, but that's purely false. The City of Alexandria was not the only Holy See of Orthodoxy.
He totally ignores (or just doesn't know) about the Holy See of Antioch, plus at that time, the East and West were in full communion, so you would have to include Rome in the picture as well when you talk about Ancient Orthodoxy.
For at first the Holy Sees were
1. Rome
2. Alexandria
3. Antioch
And Later two more Holy sees were added in Constantinople and Jerusalem:
1. Rome
2. Constantinople
3. Alexandria
4. Antioch
5. Jerusalem
Morey only focuses on Alexandria Egypt, but Antioch was important as well, for after all, we were first called Christians in the city of Antioch. And to ignore the influence of Antioch is to distort the whole picture. So I'm going to include the influence of Antioch in my rejoinder.
JNORM888
1.) The Christian Art of Byzantine Syria by Father Pena (A Franciscan)

2.) The Architecture and Liturgy of the Bema in Fourth-to Sixth-Century Syrian Churches by Dr. Emma LOOSLEY (her book)
These along with Mike Aquilina's book Signs and Mysteries: Revealing Ancient Christian Symbols. Should give me what I need in talking about the issue of Icons. I'm going to be quoting from these books once I get done with it.
The plan is to start out with the signs and symbols of early christianity into the Icons of early christianity. I will also let people know about the Icons of Judaism in the synagogues as well. At least that's how I plan on making my case.
The only otherthing I have to cover in the rejoinder is the "Calvinist" Patriarch claim. Other Orthodox on the web have already posted stuff about that so I'm just gonna quote what they already said.
This is going to take longer than what I planned. Especially now, since I'm in the St. Stephen's Course in Orthodox Theology program. Which is seen here and here. So it's gonna be awhile, but I'm sure I can always use what I'm learning at Saint Stephen's with what I'm working on here.......so I will quote stuff from the books I have to read for the Saint Stephen's program as well. For anything that deals with the topic at hand will help. In my conclusion, I will talk about how Eastern Orthodoxy had many places(regions) of influence. Robert Morey tries to paint the picture that we came from Egypt, but that's purely false. The City of Alexandria was not the only Holy See of Orthodoxy.
He totally ignores (or just doesn't know) about the Holy See of Antioch, plus at that time, the East and West were in full communion, so you would have to include Rome in the picture as well when you talk about Ancient Orthodoxy.
For at first the Holy Sees were
1. Rome
2. Alexandria
3. Antioch
And Later two more Holy sees were added in Constantinople and Jerusalem:
1. Rome
2. Constantinople
3. Alexandria
4. Antioch
5. Jerusalem
Morey only focuses on Alexandria Egypt, but Antioch was important as well, for after all, we were first called Christians in the city of Antioch. And to ignore the influence of Antioch is to distort the whole picture. So I'm going to include the influence of Antioch in my rejoinder.
JNORM888
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Blogs: Eastern Orthodox
-
-
Why Not Use Ancient Rites?6 years ago
-
-
When Everyone Is Watching4 months ago
-
-
-
It’s Time to Say Goodbye4 years ago
-
About the Mystagogy Resource Center4 months ago
-
-
Orthodox Life15 years ago
-
-
Resurrection Sunday 20265 months ago
-
-
The End of This Work10 months ago
-
-
The end of Pious Fabrications12 years ago
-
-
Bending Toward Bethlehem2 years ago
Blogs: Oriental Orthodox
-
-
Restoration of The Son10 years ago
Blogs: Roman Catholic
-
-
-
-
-
-
A Brief Update12 years ago
-
-
-
My Sister's New Blog15 years ago
-
Blogs: Anglo-Catholic/ACNA
-
Faking a Bundle2 weeks ago
-
Hello world!2 years ago
-
-
-
Blogs: Lutheran Protestant
-
Test1 week ago
-
-
-
Blogs: Mostly Arminian Protestant
-
Book Review: Grace for All11 years ago
-
-
Denah Rumah Type 36 Luas Tanah 728 years ago
-
Christian Rappers and Collaborations15 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
NOT Independence Sunday17 years ago
-
Blogs: Reformed Protestant
-
-
Do Not Disavow2 years ago
-
-
This Blog Has Moved!!!12 years ago
-
-
Is Peter the Rock of the Church?16 years ago
-
-



0 comments: